MY STORY
It's not so easy living with my condition. Its almost like I was given a sentence before I even had the chance to live. Everyday is scary. I do not know if I'm going to have a crisis or not.
The crises are really painful but most of the pain I feel comes from my mind. I feel pain when I see the faces of the ones I love. They smile at me and act like all is fine around me but I know deep down that it hurts them to see me go through this.
I found out about my status when I was twelve. On the morning of that fateful day, I broke down in class. Just after our morning assembly. It wasn't the first time but this was more painful than any other before it. I had to be rushed to the hospital.
When mum came, I demanded to know what was wrong with me. I needed an answer. I needed to know the reason I was treated as a special student in school, like fragile glass.
I needed to know why I had a lunchbox filled with drugs, why I was always falling ill and why Aunty May always gave me injections. Suso my younger brother hardly ever came down with a flu. Why me? What was special about me?
Mum broke down in tears that day but I got my answer. Mom asked Doctor Big Frank (our family doctor) to explain to me. He said I was an angel but I had a minor issue in my blood. He was the one who told me that I was a sickler. He explained it all to me in a very caring manner.
I have since adjusted to my condition. It's not been easy but I have decided to live my life to it's fullest. I still see myself as an angel who is here on a mission.
It really hurts sometimes, especially when I'm not able to do things that I should but I'm thankful for the family and friends I've got. They just make the sadness go away. Their love spreads to me and I'm over the mood swing.
I am twenty-eight years old now and I'm living a fulfilled life. I am a barrister and although I do not practice, I run a chain of businesses. I am married with two lovely and healthy children. I volunteer at an NGO that helps to educate people about this condition.
Hubby has been awesome. I think of him and I'm grateful. He is ever so patient with me that I burst in tears sometimes. He helps me with almost everything. I feel like God compensated me.
If you're a sickler like me, you too can live a fulfilled life. If you're not, please be careful. Know your genotype.
- Anonymous.
Courtesy Cell Corps Africa.
PS: You can share your story in the comments section.

Nice one dear.
ReplyDelete